Crocs and Earth Shoes






















In my Walden Pond post I mentioned Earth Shoes and again in my post yesterday when I was talking about Melissa wearing them. Footwear has always been a big deal for me. My children wore really good shoes as babies, when they had them on that is. Melanie's shoes took on a more "natural" look as we seemed to mail order hers from some ad in "Mothering" Magazine. Melissa did not have the benefit of us reading that publication when she was just learning to walk, but still her shoes were good ones.
Both my girls had tiny Birkenstocks. So cute. We should have bronzed some of them. What a statement that would have made !
I have owned one pair of high heels in my life. Wore them once and that was enough. My mother used to tell me I wore "Nun shoes" which I suspect was in testimony to their functional look as opposed to making a fashion statement.
My choice in footwear is still dictated by comfort and care for the feet. Barefoot is always my preference, but there are places where "barefoot" just doesn't work.
So, I wear Crocs, Earth Shoes, Birkenstocks, Merrell hiking boots and of course Running shoes. That's about it for shoes. Oh I have a couple pairs of Swedish Clogs too. But they are for dressy occasions. Crocs have to be the most comfortable shoe around. Its like walking on spongy ground. I do like to wear socks with them to absorb any sweat. They are perfect for working in the garden, no socks on then, as I can just hose them off while still on my feet before heading in the house. They are really non slip too. I am always telling people how great they are. Mine are about a year old, maybe a bit older actually and show no wear at all. Only the little Croc symbols have come off the straps. Don't get hooked into buying the cheep look a likes from Walmart or the other stores. Go for the real thing. Its well worth the money !
I am kinda proud of my feet, yeah I know that sounds so silly. It started way back in 1977, when I was working at the hospital. Had to do some traction set up with this gorgeous new Orthopedic Doctor. He had the full head of curly black hair, wore cotton, had on Birks, drove some sort of VW. What more could a girl want in the 1970's ? Anyway, he was showing me how his second toe was so much longer than the others and how it kinda hung over the end of his Birk. Strange conversation I know, but when you are young, stuff like that comes out of your mouth easily. Not the same rules for small talk when you are hippy like and in your youth.
Of course he wanted to know if my toes were like that too. So I pulled off my sock and showed him my foot.
He stood there and said the words I will never forget. "You have the most beautiful feet I have ever seen, they are perfect". Naturally I was swooning at this point. In retrospect, I am not so sure I would swoon now. He looked at my foot and asked if I minded sharing it with another Doctor that was still making rounds, I quickluy replied, "Oh sure, no problem". He paged his buddy, who had the same response upon seeing my foot. This guy was old, really old, maybe 48 ish. So his compliments didn't matter. He had on a double knit Leisure suit anyway. Yuck !
So you see the problem of my foot pride was born on that very same day. Before that though, I had always worn, "healthy" shoes as my family called them.
In the last 30 some years, I have had chance to have my feet checked out a couple times by M.D's. And always the same comments, " you have perfect feet".
I just beam. Glow with pride. Can you imagine, beaming with pride over FEET ??? Hey, you take what you can get in life for compliments.
One such Doctor asked if he could x-ray my feet, no fee, just to use as a model for the perfect foot. It was as if I was asked to pose for a glamour magazine !
Talk about boosting my ego, which is healthy anyway.
Now you know my problem with pride. I have been willing to bare my soul with ummm a few hundred people. I hope you all are giggling like I am over this sad tale.
Included here are pictures of Crocs and Earth Shoes, everyone knows what Birks look like so no need to share pictures there. One time back before everyone had birks, my oldest sister was embarrassed when I wore mine shopping to the mall with her. I wanted to look at another style in this other store and she waited outside. Didn't want to be seen looking at such "weird" shoes. Life is full of opportunities to look back in life and have a good old laugh.
here is the link for Earth Shoes
http://www.earth.us/
(they have vegan styles too)

here is the link for Crocs
http://shop.crocs.com/c-4-Footwear.aspx?reqid=4&reqProdTypeId=4&subsectionname=footwear

Comments

Tracey said…
Now Patty...you can't expect to say those things withOUT posting a pic of those feet of yours, girlie!! :oP This coming from a gal that HATES her feet. Let's see 'em!! :oD
Patty said…
Well I will just have to take a picture of my feet ! Coming soon to a blog near you, Pattys Feet : )
Crocks are hot around here now too - although I'm not sure about them - they look uncomfortable to me! And I'm glad you showed us earth shoes - I had no idea what those were! I tried to look close at the old picture of you with them on last night but didn't get a good enough idea.

Perfect feet - wow! My feet are small but I have a huge fat big toe - I hate my feet! Well no, I hate my big toes!

Thanks for a great read tonight!
Anonymous said…
Funny story LOL. I can't find Croc shoes in Australia, but there is a shop in Cooroy, just about 15Ks away where they sell earth shoes! Bit pricey though - the ones I liked were A$295!! I have a quilting retreat there in July so will check them out at the "Billaboodah Eco Emporium" :-)
La Tea Dah said…
I love my Berks too! I have at least half a dozen pair and never throw any away, even if they look all worn out (which several of mine do). I'm a barefoot person in the house and love slip-on shoes for ease. I also love my Romikas. If you haven't tried them, you really should check them out. They are European made and fit the foot SO well. Clarks', made in England, are also a favorite of mine. Sensible shoes are wonderful!!!
Patty said…
I had Clarks for years. Black ones that I wore when we were "plain" also had a pair or two of SAS's which although they look healthy are not that comfy.

Sandra, Try ebay for Earth Shoes, they are last years style but much cheaper
Unknown said…
Patty, you convinced me to buy my first pair of Crocs, I bought the fuscia and turgoise(sP).....I know I'll love them I am excited I'll let you know when I get them what I think...Huggles(()))Tina
Genuine Lustre said…
I've always had a thing for shoes too Patty. Got my first pair of birks in about 1991. Haven't looked back. My kids wore Soft Star Shoes that I ordered from the Natural Baby Company. They have lasted through 4 children and still have a lot of life in them.

Popular Posts